Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Amending Fences

My Little Pony:  Friendship is Magic
S05E12

I can't tell you how much I dislike this episode. I'm going to ignore it ever happened like I did with "Normal Again" on Buffy. The more I think about this episode the angrier I get.

They retconned Twilight Sparkle into having friends before Ponyville. I did not like this at all. This whole cartoon started because she didn't have any friends & had trouble making them, but now thanks to this retcon she had friends all along that she ignored & treated poorly. So MA Larson also retconned her into being a bad friend too.

This was a terrible idea & took away the whole reason I identified with her. She was originally a shy introvert (social anxiety?) pony so this was an awful decision. They could have gotten the same moral across if they had tweaked the story a little to just have Twilight perform her duties as the Princess of Friendship to open Moon Dancer's eyes to the friends she already had, instead they made Twilight Sparkle so self-absorbed that she even forgot her friend's names!?

"See kids, nerds are actually selfish people who don't care about anyone else's feelings." WTF were they thinking sending this message to kids!?

No comments :

Post a Comment